Flash Required to view this area.

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Harry Potter is Brutal

When the Executive Editor of VCU's Ink Magazine asked if I would like to shoot some photos for them, I of course said yes. Then I was informed that the shoot would be for the VCU Quidditch team and I was a little confused (for the uninformed, Quidditch is the sport from the Harry Potter series, but you should already know that). VCU has a Quidditch team? Quidditch is a real sport? How do they fly? Are non-wizards allowed to watch?

With these questions in my head, I showed up at University of Richmond weeks later with my camera in hand, ready to capture the game with absolutely no idea how the game was even played. Greeted by the team, I was thanked for coming and told just to "watch where you stand, things can get a little rough". I chuckled, rough? I thought surely they were joking. Little did I know....

Quidditch is INTENSE! Within the first 2 minutes of the game there were players running off into the distance out of sight, balls flying into the stands, and the kind of physical contact you would expect from a rugby game. For the next hour I captured photos of what I would later describe to my friends as a mix of dodgeball, rugby, soccer, and hide-and-seek all with the added commotion of wooden broomsticks colliding with one another. I slowly picked up on the rules, and had a blast watching it all unfold. If your interested in checking out a game or joining a team, check out Fan's of Quidditch at VCU and the Intercollegiate Quidditch Association. Now for some photos!

You can check out the article in Ink Magazine here and while you're there check out all the other awesome articles that they have put together in that last three issues. The editor Sara has done an awesome job with the magazine, and she's an awesome photographer and I also hear a darn good cook. Happy Tuesday everyone, have an awesome day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search